Border Update 11-13JUL08

  One of the many blessings I have received as the result of my commitment serve my country by being on the border at least one weekend a month is getting to meet the local landowners.  These families’ lives and properties are directly impacted by the illegal flow of drugs and humans across our vast and porous southern frontier. This, my second weekend on the border in July, was dedicated to getting to know some of these fine men and women a little better.
  I departed my home area about 0945 and arrived in Jacumba at 1200.  I topped off my tank with that damn expensive imported gasoline, fuel that would not be as expensive as it is had our corrupt politicians in their infinite ignorance had allowed and continued domestic drilling and exploration years ago.  But my focus on the problem is fodder for a future opinion piece. Rather than me dwelling here on our national petroleum problem, lets focus for a minute on one man and his tireless efforts to be part of the solution, at least for himself and his family.
At 1230 I rolled up to local landowner’s spread near Campo, California. The rancher had invited me to his place many times and when I called him from the main road and told him I would like to take him up on the offer he replied, “It’s about damn time!”
If you have ever visited the Mountain Minuteman forums you know the man as Horsepuckies. Now, I knew he was a real “character,” I have served with him on the border and conversed with him on the line many times. I knew he was an all American Cowboy and former United States Marine, as well as an old fart with a serious attitude.

 But I had no idea what an energetic and innovative individual he is.  Among his many ongoing projects is the production of bio-diesel.
Ok, I was fascinated to say the least.  I tried to take notes but the recipe I wrote down is not precise so please kids, don’t try this at home.
 Horsepuckies, as you might have guessed, owns horses.  The horse manure is put in this tank with some water to form methane gas.

The methane gas rises through the pipe to a loft is the barn where it fills up an old camp mattress.

From there it is forced to the stove where it is burned as fuel to heat bio-diesel by-products to recover and recycle methylene.

The large funnel on the first tank also traps and recovers escaping methylene.

Lye and methylene are added to waste cooking oil to make meth oxide.

I told Horsepuckies the whole thing sounded like a meth lab to me!

The solution is heated to 135 degrees for I hour while circulating.
Let it cool then drain the glycerine. (this will be recycled and reheated on the horse shit stove to recover any methylene)
Transfer the oil solution to tank 2 and add 25% water.  Circulate for two hours then let it stand.  Do this twice. Water and oil will separate.  Water is drained off and used to water trees.

 Finished product is pumped to the tank to be used in Horsepuckies’ Ram Tough pickup.

If this can be done relatively cheap and easily on a small scale why aren’t we doing on a much grander scale……..I’m about to climb up on a soapbox again. Yes, we need alternative energy sources, but in the interim we should be making gas from coal the way Germans did in WWII and the way the South Africans still do.  The United States has more coal than anyone else in the world.  We should be making oil from our shale and we should be drilling for our own oil off our coasts and in Alaska. The Democrats not only do not want us to use our own resources but Pelosi also wants us to deplete our strategic reserves! Ok…. I shall try to practice restraint of tongue and pen. I’m sorry, I’m pissed.  It would seem our politicians desire the demise of America.
Check out Horsepuckies’ “Hybrid” vehicle.

A 1946 Farmall. 

You start it with gasoline and after it warms up you switch it to diesel.  Note the two separate tanks.

Then I got a tour of Horsepuckies worm farm where the “castings” are used to make Natures Big Bud Liquid Worm Castings fertilizer.
The worms live, eat and poop here.

The castings. (poop)

The castings are then sifted here.

The fine finished powder.

 The powder is mixed with water in this tank to form a tea.

 And then it is pumped in the bottles for sale.

Last but not least we visited the horses and I made some new friends.

It was an awesome visit and an honor to be shown around the Horsepuckies spread. He is a great American!


  Then I left the ranch and headed for Patriot Point. 

Lil Dog was on a much needed and well-deserved vacation and Terry and Elaine volunteered to “house sit” at the Point.  Elaine actually took her vacation from her full time job to man the Point and serve her country on the border.  While they were there they cooked, cleaned and made numerous improvements including installing a mercury vapor light,

stenciling and installing a windshield in the “squad car”

and making camo shade umbrellas!

The Point looked like a resort and each time I took a break and sat in one of the chairs I was barely down before one of the kind pair would serve me food and beverage!  I am so grateful for these two.  Thanks again Terry and Elaine, you are both great Americans!!
I will spare you all the boring details of each place I patrolled and where I sat and for how long, thus saving me a lot of typing.  Suffice it to say I patrolled the border from Patriot Point to Cap Rock.  Stopping at various places to observe and to visit with the BP agents on duty.
 At 1650 I rolled east and talked with Gadget at the PCT.  He told me that a guy named Woody, who has some sort of fence building website to solicit funds, had used about $1000.00 in donation money to erect a solar powered “border cam” on a 2 inch galvanized post just south of the 138.

 The night after it had been installed illegals crept in at night with a cordless Sawzall, sawed it down and hauled it off into Mexico.

 All that was left was a $1000.00 galvanized stump.

At 1730, while sitting at the Donut Hole I observed a man on horseback on the Pemex road.  Not too unusual as there is cattle in that area now.  But then a Grupos Beta truck came down the Pemex from the west.

 He proceeded to the Ranchita road and turned north,

to disappear from view behind some rocks where I have often observed groups staging.

 Grupos Beta is supposed to be the Mexican equivalent of the Border patrol but I have personally observed them more often than not assisting groups getting ready to cross by bringing food and water.  They are also armed with M4s.  Here is some more of your tax dollars at work as Jorge Bush and our illustrious politicians appropriated the funding for Mexico to start Grupos Beta.
 Instead I think you should show your support for secure borders and disdain for Grupos Beta by purchasing your very own Grupos Vete (pronounced Beh-tay) merchandise right here.

 Vete is Spanish slang for “go on, getoutahere!”
 In doing so you have become a member of the Association of Dedicated Independent ObserverS.   ADIOS!

  I re-positioned my truck to the turnaround at the base of 241 to try to see what Grupos Beta was up to but by the time I got into position they turned around and headed south.  Then they turned west on the Pemex and out of sight.  As I was binoing the area I caught a glimpse of 5 individuals on foot heading for the Bermuda triangle.
I went back to the Donut Hole in time to see a Tecate PD SUV coming up the Ranchita road, proceeding north of the Pemex and to the same exact area the Grupos Beta truck went.

 Then he veered to the southwest and cut across the open scrub.  He stopped at the southeast base of the 241 and two men flew out of the truck and ran around the back of 241 like they were chasing someone.  I watched them until well after dark and let an agent rolling by know what was going on in case there was a group on the west side of 241 about to enter.  They finally got back to their truck well after dark. 

Then they patrolled their side and I patrolled ours.  We spotlighted each other repeatedly before they headed south on the Ranchita Road.  I headed back to the Point and turned in about 2300.  I was scheduled to deploy with U.S. Evolutions at 0400 the next morning at a location I am not at liberty to disclose.
  I awakened in the back of Godzilla at 0300 at was at the rendevous point at 0400.  By 0500 we were hiking into the bush to set up watch.  I feel privileged to be asked to serve with these men even though I have much to learn about their tactics and am in need of some more specialized gear.  I was able to use a thermal imaging (FLIR) unit for the first time and that alone was worth the trip.  We had a relatively uneventful watch, only spotting two high pointers to our east, who were probably spotting for a group even further east of us and out of our sight.
 About 0900 three men from U.S. Evolutions in a military surplus vehicle came and extracted us.  They were all going to stay and build tactical infrastructure on some private property at the invitation of the ranch owner but I opted to move on.  Later I was told they caught 15 illegals entering the property while they worked.
  I decided to visit Camp Vigilance to see if there were any people left from the big 4th of July bash last week.  There was not.  I went to Outdoor World, a campground close by where I used to stay from time to time, got a bag of ice and visited with old friends.  Then I geared up and headed down Tierra Del Sol to the area the National Guard calls Red Shank, the entry to the border road.  This is how I usually go to Patriot Point to the west but instead I decided to have a look at the area east of Red Shank.  This is the area I observed from a hilltop on my very first border mission in August 2005.

 It is also an area where an agent was shot and killed by an AK wielding Mexican that same year.
I patrolled to the east until the road ends at a rocky hill the BP call “Cherry Stem.”

 Then, at 1045, I turned around and patrolled slowly west.


 In the 2 miles from Cherry Stem to Red Shank I counted 17 holes under the fence, some with fresh footprints and even truck tracks backing up to them.

 By 1130 I was at the east side of Smith Canyon.  By 1145 I was entering la Gloria Canyon. I did not see anyone but I did meet up with some agents on the west side who said there was a group forming to the south.  I pressed on. At 1200 I passed patriot Point and got a radio welcome from the ever-vigilant Wildcard, a local lady who regularly stands watch. By 1220 I was at the base of Cap Rock, having taken 1 hr and 35 minutes to go the 18 miles from Cherry Stem to Cap Rock.  By 1250 I was parked at the Donut Hole.  Exhausted from little sleep and early morning deployment I propped my feet up on my truck door and binoed the land below.
 I was startled awake by a BP agent parked directly beside me, gunning his diesel.  Not Good!
I headed for the Point and took a nap in the back of Godzilla.  When I awakened I watched a fire that had started on a hill behind the highway north west of Campo.

 A BP agent later told me they caught 15 illegals in that area and one of the intruders had started the fire with a carelessly tossed cigarette.  Tanker planes and helicopters worked the flames for hours and finally doused them.  More of our tax dollars at work.

Terry, Hot Shot and I sat in lawn chairs under the new camo umbrellas he had made and visited.

 We watched two Tecate PD pickup trucks come west on the Pemex and disappear behind some tree due south of the Point. One had a bed full of people We also watched the BP helicopter work the area and eventually an agent came up to the hilltop to chat.  It was a canine unit and the agent introduced me to “Bo” a Belgian Malinois.
 Then I made a patrol pass to the west and found something weird by the 127.

 It appeared to be a web-based printout out of instructions for Homeland Security (BP) agents!

 I watched the sun go down and turned in at an early 2200.

  I left the area at 0430 13JUL08.
In my many missions on the border I have been fortunate to meet many good Americans.  Some are local landowners who frequent the border or invite others to their land to help out.  Some are dedicate observers who stay 24/7 on the border to do their part.  Others are weekend warriors like myself, who have jobs  and families, but make a point to set aside some time to give back to their country by helping secure our porous southern frontier.
 Which are you?
 Come down and help us out in whatever capacity you can.  You won’t regret it and you will be doing your country a service.  You owe it to yourselves.  And you owe it to the United States of America.
I hope to meet up with you on a dusty border trail.
Semper Vigilans,

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

3 responses

  1. Hey charlie,I was curious and checked out that BP posting you found by 127. Turns out, ENFORCE is the name of a computer program that hosts documents for the Justice system. Form I-247 is also known as an "Application for Stay of Removal." Since that flier tells the Agent to do this when a subject is NOT in immediate custody, my guess is that its a necessary step that has to be done before you actually PUT someone in custody.Something like: Step 1) detain. Step 2) fill out this form so the detainee is not immediately deported Step 3) Arrest and place into custody.Just your tax payer dollars at work making the red tape that much more of a pain in the ass for BP to actually do anything…See you in the desert..-Springfield

    July 17, 2008 at 18:59

  2. Thanks Springfield! This is interesting:

    July 18, 2008 at 06:37

  3. You've got to believe someone in homeland security has a sense of humor because they labeled section 252 as "Landing of Alien Crewmen"You know, just in case we have another Roswell incident. Ha ha!

    July 18, 2008 at 10:49

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s